16 October 2008

Introduction

Hi everyone, this is my new blog site. I thought it would be fun to post musings about myself and my family, like a weekly journal. It sure beats attaching photo after photo into a series of emails.

My hobbies are quilting and genealogy.

I spend countless hours in my sewing room in my unfinished basement. I've made it a little cozier by adding a carpet and several lights in my work areas. My most contented moments are spent there designing quilts, cutting the pieces and listening to my ipod music or podcasts. Oh yes, there is a TV nearby too, often turned to Fox News.

Genealogy also takes up my free time and I spend too many hours on my "One-Eyed Monster" (my computer) searching for more and more information about my forebearers. Yes, I know, if you go back far enough we're probably all related, but for me the thrill of genealogy is the hunt to complete a puzzle. The difference? I love putting my family on the historical timeline. ( i.e. who my great grandfather was during President Lincoln's lifetime.)

Reading ---- aaaah, history. That's my favorite type of book, though from time to time I do find an excellent novel.

Currently, I am reading, "Champlain's Dream", by David Hackett Fischer. I have read everything he writes. He draws a wonderful painting of a person's life, rich with descriptions of the subject's personality, culture, his folkways and the world events that shaped his life. Fischer is a wonderfully illustrative historian who cites his sources thoroughly. I chose this book because I have French-Canadian ancestry and this book goes into great detail about the settling of French Canada. I am NOT dissappointed - it is a marvelous book. In fact, I can't put it down!

Wow, look below at one of the tools available for blogging! This slideshow is a random selection of photos of our family. This blog is so much fun to create! I hope some of you take my lead and create one for yourselves. Go to Google and create one! I'd love to view yours.


Our family

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...